- Porto or Lisbon, Portugal
If you are a talented and experienced Engineering Manager, not afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone, yearning to learn with the best, and have a giant impact... We have a challenge for you.
At Switch we have the challenge to build a product that it’s huge and must be scalable to match the most use cases possible. Furthermore, it also needs to be reliable to process millions of transactions for some of the largest online businesses in the world, complying with extremely critical security rules.
Our Engineering team is growing rapidly and we want to ensure it grows and develops in the best way. We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us and lead one of our teams of engineers to build our product with high standards of quality.
As an Engineering Manager at Switch you will:
- Lead a team of engineers:
- help them follow our software development processes, understand the roadmap priorities, and deliver great software;
- work with your squad leads to groom the backlog, and work with your team to plan their sprints;
- provide constructive feedback, prepare and deliver performance reviews, identify areas for improvement, review their career plans and set objectives for career development;
- be a true leader, working closely with them, clearing blockers, and supporting them in their job and growth.
- Work with the Head of Engineering and other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the way we work, identifying areas for improvement, sharing ideas and leading initiatives that can help us work in the best way possible;
- Learn and understand our product, product strategy and priorities, in order to clearly communicate them to your team;
- Participate and contribute in the recruitment processes in planning the upcoming team needs, conducting interviews and design onboarding processes;
- Work closely with key stakeholders within the engineering, product, project and sales teams, both in roadmap planning conversations, but also in development kick-offs and handovers;
- Sometimes things get complicated and will be necessary to get your “hands dirty” working with our stack: Microservices, Elasticsearch, Docker, Consul, Ansible, Event Sourcing, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Python, Django, Node.js, Angular, React.
- Academic background in Software Engineering or other related fields;
- Engineer mentality: passion about solving highly complex challenges in a detail-oriented way;
- Significant experience in delivering complex projects in software companies;
- Experience in project/product management, onboarding, training or mentoring processes;
- Solution-oriented with a “get it done” attitude that finds motivation in fast-paced environments;
- People-driven and a team player profile that engages and motivates people around you;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels with internal and external stakeholders.
Nice to have:
- Experience in leading an engineering team and technical projects;
- A proven track record of end-to-end delivery and systems architecture with extensive knowledge and experience of software architecture best practices, common challenges, monoliths, and microservices.
- Work with people passionate about solving high complex tech challenges;
- Impact on the product and culture;
- Modern technologies and low tech debt;
- Progress fast! We promote ownership, doesn’t matter years of experience nor age;
- Flexible environment and work-life balance - as well as good team environment;
- The Switch Kit: Macbook Pro and others;
- Health insurance with a dental plan;
- Daily transportation Braga <> Porto Office for someone who lives in Braga.
The hiring process comprises of essentially 4 stages (all applications typical last 2 weeks):
- Online Call with HR;
- F2F or hangouts Interview with HR and Head of Engineering;
- Challenge or Business Case;
- Final Interview with one of our Head of Engineering.